Saturday, February 19, 2011

Subject Ideas

Seems like almost every photographer takes pictures of the following on a regular basis: cemeteries, animals, kids, railroad tracks, flower macros, ferris wheels and barns.

Myself, included.

I'd like to focus on something new. Something awesome. Something no one else has thought of.

But I don't know what that might be.

Even though it's cliche and overdone, I really do like cemetery shots. There must be a reason that it appeals to me so much, but I'm not sure what that is.

I found a website called Find A Grave that lists pretty much every cemetery, and if you're lucky, it'll also will tell you how many people were buried there, along with their names and the dates of their lives.

The other day I was putzing around on back roads, and I came across a tiny cemetery in the middle of nowhere. After I got home I found the name of it (Aten), and the number of people interred (109). Then I spent the next FOREVER looking up burial practices from the 19th century.

This particular cemetery had been used for 100 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment